Sunday, March 30, 2014

Africa trip update!

Well, tickets are purchased!

Many of you have asked what my itinerary is - and while it's a little loose and uncertain at the moment, I can give y'all a first draft (minus the travel times - those are set!)
  • Sunday, June 29: 6pm flight out of JFK 
  • Monday, June 30: arrive at 9:30pm in Johannesburg, South Africa
  • Tuesday, July 1: morning flight to Pemba, Mozambique and meet up with the rest of the team. (I was originally traveling with the whole group but b/c of a work conflict for me, I have to leave a day later and travel on my own). Afternoon arrival in Pemba, near the beautiful Indian ocean.  Check into Iris Ministry base and settle into the visitor’s center. Orientation with staff
  • Wednesday, July 2 –  Saturday July 5: Spend the next few days in Pemba at the Iris Base. Ministry opportunities on the base include an exciting overnight outreach to a remote village, as well as prayer times and worship, Hospital ministry or prison outreach, Meize village, medical outreach, village feeding program, (they are feeding over 1,000 kids every week) and special beach time with the children
  • Sunday, July 6:  Enjoy Sunday morning celebration service at the Iris Base.  Afternoon flight to Maputo, the capital of Mozambique. Take tour of Children’s Centre at the beautiful Zimpeto Iris Ministry base
  • Monday July 7:  Outreach to the Garage Dump – visit church there and bless the people.  Evening church service at the base with the staff, pastors, and children
  • Tuesday, July 8:  Spend time with the kids in the children’s center. Special outreach possible
  • Wednesday, July 9:  Depart early in the morning for all day Safari adventure in Kruger National Park. Kruger National Park is located about 3 hours from Maputo over the border in South Africa. Enjoy open-air trucks and up close encounters with God’s amazing creation! Overnight at game park lodging
  • Thursday, July 10:  Morning breakfast and 3.5 hour drive to Johannesburg. 11pm flight out of South Africa for the states
  • Friday, July 11:  arrive at JFK at 3:30pm, back in Jax around midnight! 

I canNOT wait!

For those of you who are just joining the conversation and don't know what this is all about, read my previous post to get all caught up. 

...a HUGE thank you to everyone who has contributed financially to my trip...there's no way I could do this without you. I am blown away by what has come in in just a short amount of time. I have just about $1000 left to raise before I am fully funded. If you feel led to contribute financially, there are a number of ways you can do that:


  1. through my GoFundMe page - this is very easy and you can make payments via credit card (I also update it frequently with info about the trip, videos, pictures...)
  2. through PayPal - Pay Pal is a quick and easy way to send money. My user name is lizbailey1978@gmail.com (just make sure that you select the 'I am sending money to friends/family' option - otherwise, there is a fee)
  3. if you would like to send a check, simply make it out to me, earmark it 'Liz - Soul Safari' and mail it to me: 12296 Water Tupelo Road/Jacksonville, FL/32226
That's it for now - thank you all for your love and support!

...oh and for a little fun yet sobering entertainment, check this out:
(this was put together over 10 years ago so I'm sure all of these figures are even more staggering)


No comments:

Post a Comment